If the weather insists on staying this hot, I am just going to have to go back to no-cook recipes until it abates, so here’s one I’ve been keeping in my back pocket for such an occasion. Super fast, simple, tasty, and no-cook, it’s perfect for at-work lunches or even for a party or picnic. It’s a spin on a Smitten Kitchen recipe, with the addition of feta and basil. Chickpeas pack protein, and roasted red peppers… well, they make everything better, even non-food things. Store-bought roasted peppers keep this recipe no-cook, but feel free to roast your own once the temperatures go back to where they’re supposed to be in September. Which is, you know, below 90 degrees.
Chickpea and Roasted Red Pepper Salad with Basil and Feta
adapted from this Smitten Kitchen recipe
Time: 10 minutes Serves: 2 as a main, 4 as a side
- 2 roasted red peppers, or 1 jar, chopped or slivered
- 3 cups of chickpeas, rinsed (2 15-oz cans)
- 1/3-1/2 cup of sliced fresh basil (or do a mix of other herbs, like mint and parsley)
- 3 T of capers, rinsed (optional but adds a lovely saltiness)
- 1/4-1/3 cup crumbled feta (I like Bulgarian feta in brine… sooooo creamy!)
- 2 T of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 T of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all the salad ingredients in one bowl. Whisk together the dressing ingredients in another. Combine. That’s all, folks!
Like this no-cook recipe? Check out this other no-cook chickpea recipe from July 2014.